Monday, August 16, 2010

Nick @ Nite: Good Bye

Eh, I know I’ve already posted this topic somewhere on the Internet, or something. Or maybe SS said it. But… Nick @ Nite is really getting worse. Seriously.

First, they have the same shows, only with different ethnic backgrounds or cultures. I’m not racist, and I don’t intend to offend anyone, but all the shows that have been on lately have a father that’s clumsy and lazy, the mother that’s attractive but nags a lot, the son who dislikes school and gets away with everything, and the daughter that always is in trouble for no reason and isn’t given teenage privileges, but with a variety of races and backgrounds.

Malcolm in the Middle has a Caucasian family with basically all but the fourth stereotype, Family Matters, Everybody Hates Chris, and The Cosby Show have most of these roles given to characters at one point or another in African American families, George Lopez has a Hispanic family with all of these roles, and the only shows that subvert these are The Nanny(Okay, so it has half of them, but considering, Fran is only related to them at the end of the series, I don’t think you can call The Nanny’s cast the ‘Sheffield/Fine/Babcock/Whatever Niles’ Last Name was clan’. Not to mention, the show is getting moved off Nick @ Nite by the end of this month)  and Glenn Martin DDS, but most people just try blocking that show out of their lives. And judging from the promos for My Wife and Kids… it’s so far, George Lopez with another family. I don’t mean to hate it without watching it(I stayed away from George Lopez because a [Now Ex-] friend told me it was stupid. Yes, that says more about me than where I was going with this, but I was 13 and naive! I did stupid stuff back then.), but really? ‘Sexy Casual’? ‘Slutty Formal’? I can already tell I’d only watch the show because I feel bad for that daughter.

The whole programming is just for guys, or at least, guy leads. Yeah, sure, Family Matters was made for Harriet, AKA Jo Marie Payton, but it turned into the Urkel Show. My Wife and Kids… well, I don’t know, and frankly I don’t plan on finding out. And Fran moved to TV Land, with Roseanne, so, basically, guy programming with commercials for mothers, branded off as ‘Family’. I think it’s trying to be like ABC Family or something. I mean, My Wife and Kids and Family Matters were on ABC Family at some point, and George Lopez was on ABC, like the ‘main’ channel.

But Friends is going on next year, which is good, right? And there’s been an endless amount of rumors for Boy Meets World going on it too, so I guess there’s that to look forward to?

Besides, I realized that my house does recieve TVLand, so I can watch The Nanny on there. All my other sitcom needs are either from other channels(Golden Girls :X), the Internet(Friends), or I’ve already had enough of the show(George Lopez, Family Matters, George Lopez, and did I already mention George Lopez?).

And I finished three parts of my summer reading! Now I only have one book left! :D Or I can pick if I should stay in AP History.  And I think I’m getting my schedule sometime this week, so I’m kind of nervous for that, with the AP History problem.

Coming up to this blog… My own Nick @ Nite wish list? Maybe an ABCFamily rant, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment