Saturday, December 4, 2010

Washups of Waverly Place

This season of Wizards of Waverly Place has been alright… but a little weak. Sure, it’s only been 2 or 3 episodes, but with a huge fake cliffhanger, Alex and Justin losing their powers, Alex quitting the competition, Mason’s return, and Max probably winning the competition, I might actually be happy that the show is possibly ending. The only thing I like this season is the new theme song, and how they didn’t choose ugly random poses for the clips. In a new episode I’m watching, the Wizard Council is breaking up Alex and Mason because ‘werewolves always eat the human!’. I’m not a Mason fan, but ugh. They couldn’t get a better reason or plot to break them up? Or at least open the purse strings to buy wardrobe for those WC? Seriously, snuggies that are just bedazzled with things from the local craft store shouldn’t count as wizards, for Disney. Their sister channel, ABC Family, has 24/7 Harry Potter marathons. The only reason why this Mason break up (Which won’t last, probably) is good, is because that could open a possibly Mason-Alex-Dean love triangle. Alex and Dean had growth in their relationship, where as Alex and Mason just had a love montage (Or a parody, anyway). If Juliet and Justin hook up again, that would be nice.

I mean, I already was starting to have several problems with the show in season 3, like

  • Why was Stevie’s wizard revolution plan so bad? I understand if magic was finite, how that would pose a problem, but really? Killing her because she wanted all wizards to have power? On a Disney show?
  • Why was Alex trying to shoo away Juliet and tell us that she has no hope to come back to a normal life when Alex later tried really hard to get Mason back? I’d be pretty pissed if I was Justin.
  • Why is everyone all ‘Mason I miss you! <3333’ in the new episodes when he told Juliet he loved her? TVTropes and TV without Pity say that Mason also physically hurt Justin, but I don’t remember that part of the episode… so yeah. But really, how many of us would miss someone who basically cheated on a family member? And physically harmed another one, too?

But I still watched the show, as it was the best thing on Disney Channel, IMO. It’s not too babyish (SLOD, Shake it Up! and Sonny with a Chance, I’m talking to you) or too fake-drama-y (Hannah Montana, JONAS LA) and it has continuity (Sorry, Good Luck Charlie). And everyone on the show is kind of a legit actor/actress (Maria Canals Barrera has done a lot of guest appearances and voice over roles, David Henrie is on How I Met Your Mother, David DeLuise is from the DeLuise family, has done a lot of guest appearances, and 3rd Rock from the Sun, Selena Gomez has a CD or two, and been in Ramona & Beezus  as well as that new Monte Carlo movie [And has done a lot of stuff for UNICEF but that doesn’t count for her acting :P] and Jake T. Austin, who turned 16 yesterday [Happy birthday, Jake!] has done Go, Diego, Go!). But yeah, it’s confusing plot holes weren’t that bad, but now, it might actually risk my interest. Then again, I’ve dedicated 3 years to this show, I don’t have Disney on Demand anymore, and I know Disney will drop it after they air the finale, so I want to see how things end.

Side note: Now there’s an episode where the Russos are hanging out with a rich family. It reminds me of any Roseanne season 9 episode. I really hope Russo Child #4 makes things better.

2 comments:

  1. I've been disappointed with WoWP, because Harper still hasn't had much character development. She's just 'Eccentric girl who makes Alex look normal'. I still like her character, but she hasn't grown that much since she's found out about magic.
    And I have a feeling Disney did the level things because they were sick of people saying "Either Alex or Justin will win the competition."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Harper could've change when she moved in with the Russos, but she's still the same odd girl from day 1. Although, I like her better now, because in early S1 she seemed like she wanted to fit in but still be weird at the same time, and it didn't work.
    I have a feeling that now it's going to be like Total Drama Island. Owen is like Max; Heather is like Justin, and Gwen is like Alex. That's just my opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete