Friday, December 10, 2010

(Student) Government

Remember when I said I didn’t want to talk about politics that much? Does high school politics count?

I’ll start off this (long) story chronologically. In October 2009 (Freshman year for me), our class was picking candidates for our president. A lot of people got nominated, but in the end, it was basically between Athletic Rich Boy and Smart Respected Boy. SRB won, but ARB argued that he couldn’t win because the school newspaper, which had the speeches, didn’t get released on time, so he couldn’t win, so we had a petition for a revote. I didn’t sign the petition, because frankly, I thought that ARB, who is more ‘popular’ and cares less about school, would screw our grade, and I thought SRB, who was probably one of the smartest students in the grade (And Indian [Okay, so I admit, I was kind of racially prejudice back then, but aren’t we all a little biased, somehow?]), would be better. I was wrong.

ARB lost, but got a famous speaker to have an assembly. Like, legitimately famous. Do you want to know what SRB did?

  • Have one of those customized-clothing fundraisers. The problem? It was for our grade, so we basically lost money. Oh, and he just got the forms off a website.
  • Act extremely snobby for just printing out a couple hundred forms.

Then he got really annoyed with our grade’s efforts and just sent us demeaning Facebook messages, like ‘The class of 2013’s humiliating efforts’ and everything, and he’s acting like he found out how to end world hunger or whatever. And reelection season came, and he just annoyed everybody on Facebook even more. Like, ‘Vote for me, SRB, or else you’ll be lost and our prom will be in the gym, with iPod speakers and microwavable food….’ and stuff. He’s acting like just because he’s in some advanced classes, he’s a MENSA member or something. I know I’m not Einstein, but I can admit that. He can’t. So I didn’t vote for him. But he won. Against Girl who Actually Cares. I voted for GwAC, but I never even met her. That’s how annoyed I was with SRB. Do you want to know something really annoying? SRB told my ‘friend’ that she should run for Treasurer, because ‘It’s easy, you do nothing, and it looks great for college'. SO YOU DON’T EVEN FREAKING CARE ABOUT OUR CLASS? WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ADVERTISING HOW EASY YOUR JOB IS. I seriously wonder what his intentions are. Actually, no. I don’t. He’s just trying to go to some Ivy League School the easiest way possible.

This year, he’s in my APUSH I class. He’s annoying. And for the Pep rally, there’s a grade scream off between each grade. Our class did like nothing. Guess who got annoyed? Seriously, he could’ve humble himself and yell or something.

And now, for a hallway decorating contest, there was a meeting Thursday after school for theme ideas. I couldn’t attend, but according to what other people’s Facebook walls say…

  • SRB didn’t listen to other people’s ideas.
  • People are not happy with the student government.

Seriously. This situation is becoming frighteningly scary. I just want to run for something this year for several reasons.

  1. I can’t say I didn’t try to do something about SRB.
  2. I want to actually make a difference.
  3. I might have original ideas that aren’t just ripped off from the Internet.
  4. I won’t tell everyone that they suck on a bi-weekly basis.
  5. I’m tired of complaining about things I can’t change. But, I can change this, so I might as well try.
  6. Personal benefits. I’d be lying if I said I was completely selfless. But, my extracurriculars are low, I want people to know who I am and respect me, and I want to prove that you don’t need to be Asian, on the high honor roll, and taking 9000 advanced classes to be a class president.

I mean, I know that people wouldn’t vote for me, because, in the end, it’s a popularity contest, I can’t change anything, I’m not that charismatic, and I don’t have a lot of friends to get votes from, so the odds of me winning are low. And I have some enemies…. so yeah. i’d probably get votes for being the only ‘neutral’ candidate. Then again, most people don’t vote, so… yeah. The worst thing that could come out of me winning is probably less free time and more stress, but Junior year is tough anyway.

…I think I proved how much I want this by typing this entire speech out. xD

So, do you think I would have a chance of winning, or at least making it far?

4 comments:

  1. It's really startling how he's president because:
    A) Allegedly he's lost more money than he's made.
    B) His 'credentials' are being in advanced math and science as well as AP classes (Fun fact: Other people take those, too!), and getting good grades. Seriously, how the hell is staying on the high honor roll supposed to benefit the student body?

    And yes, nobody really cares about this stuff, but still. With a recession going on, you'd think people would try to raise more money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to, then go for it I guess. But I would just ignore him telling your class that they suck. As for college, the more extra-curricular activities you have the better, but you could try and join another club too. So I wouldn't join just for that reason, but you have others too so yeah.

    If you really want to make a difference, then I would at least try. Some of the feelings you have right now for wanting to run might just be because you hate the SRB kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I probably won't run for it because you have to stay after school a lot just for 'campaigning', and he still has like 4 months to improve, but I'm just thinking about it from now because of how long it takes me to make a decision.
    I find it funny that everyone tries to raise money for one night only, but not graduation or things everyone can use on a daily basis. Some people need to learn about the recession. Ignorance is bliss though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's stupid. People should think about long-term stuff too. It's one of my pet peeves. Almost no one in my school thinks about their futures. They just blow their money away and stuff like that instead of saving it for something important.

    ReplyDelete