Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hot and Cold About Katy Perry

My thoughts on Katy Perry have been, well, Hot and Cold. When she first came out in 2008, I thought she was annoying for making her main marketing strategy homosexuality and homophobia (Okay, I apologize for the lame and unintentional pun Smile with tongue out). Then I liked her when she made Hot and Cold. Then I kind of forgot about her. When she made Thinking of You, I was happy and I liked it, but it was kind of… delayed. And with BeyoncĂ©'s Single Ladies and Lady Gaga’s Just Dance I thought that she was going to be forgotten about. I was kind of right.

She like, disappeared until Waking Up in Vegas. Then she kind of came back. With a bunch of Betty Boop like stuff. But she was still forgotten about, because, as my friend put it, ‘You can’t dance to Waking Up in Vegas!’. And she had stronger competition.

Katy Perry’s first album was okay, but the songs were way too bland. They sounded like they belonged on a soundtrack for a romantic comedy or something, not the next Britney Spears. And again, with competition from BeyoncĂ© and Lady Gaga, Katy was forgotten about. On Music Choice’s Certified, there was a Lady GaGa vs Katy Perry episode. GaGa won, and Katy didn’t even come close.

Then she disappeared, fell in love with Russell Brand, and came back this summer with California Gurls. I remember thinking ‘Ooh! Katy Perry’s back! With a summer song!’ and all was good in my little music corner. Then, I watched the video and I was disappointed. No, I’m not saying I wanted a full nude scene, and I’m not saying she can’t sell herself out if she wants to, but she got attention for her body more than her singing ‘skills’. So I just ignored her for a while. Besides, Lady GaGa had better singles at the time.

Then, summer ended and Lady GaGa won a lot at the VMAs. And she disappeared for a while. Actually, she’s still working on Born This Way. And she became too political. Now, all of her music is about being creative and unique and she’s trying to find a hidden meaning in everything. I guess I just feel that Lady GaGa lost her fun and why I originally liked her: She was fun but serious. Now it’s just ‘Little Monster’ this, politics that. And it feels like she’s telling her casual listeners that if they don’t think about the hidden meanings in her songs, then they shouldn’t listen to her at all.

Friday night, I watched VH1’s Top 40 Videos of 2010, and I listened Katy Perry’s video, Firework. They said it was a nice motivational video, and the message was good. The clips looked pretty (The scenery, not her cleavage Smile with tongue out ), so I decided to listen to it.

And it’s awesome.

The song is about how everyone has an inner spark to be who they want to be, and they can change things. Or something like that. The message sounded like ‘We’re all normal. Don’t let anyone bring you down.’. If Lady GaGa sang it, however… something tells me it would be ‘You know what? We can be weird together, my Monsters. Don’t forget to buy my album! Oh, and here’s me wearing a float from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.’. Like, Katy Perry says everyone is together, and Lady GaGa says her crowd is weird, but it’s okay because she’s wearing some complex outfit and they’re buying her stuff.

And I’ll end this text parade with some videos. Smile 

The Official video. :)
The Venetian Princess parody.
And of course, the Sims 3 version.

I apologize if A) this song gets stuck in your head after, B) your browser crashes/this page loaded slow from the videos. Smile with tongue out

3 comments:

  1. Yeah lol, I agree. I can't watch the video now cause my parents are in the living room , but I'll watch it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a homosexual kiss and a girl in Sims 3-esque sleepwear (like the bra and underwear ones), so if your parents are strict on that then there's your warning. :P

    I had it stuck in my head today. It's too catchy. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. They aren't strict, but they don't like me listening to music when they're awake lol. That is catchy and nice though.

    ReplyDelete