Thursday, September 2, 2010

Summer Reading

This summer, I started summer reading the week after I came back from camp, in the middle of July. I remember it was the day after the World Cup ended. And I’ve been working a lot, even on vacation. And guess what? I still haven’t finished. I only have to read like 3 pages from a history textbook, and read a Civil War book and write an alternate ending on it. The book has 3 copies in my county’s library system, and guess what? 2 of them are checked out. And the website said they were checked out near August 31st. I’m so angry that I have to go across the county to find it, read it, and write an alternate ending, when I could’ve check last week. My Mom’s just going like ‘Well, why did you procrastinate? You never had to work till the last week of summer on this stuff before’ and everything and I’m like ‘UM HELLO? I WAS WORKING SINCE THE MIDDLE OF JULY! That’s before any of your precious nieces even thought about school or anything other than partying and the beach’. It annoys me how adults still would yell at me for being lazy, but I didn’t start last minute, and I’m almost done with this crap. Honestly, it’s only procrastinating if you hold it off until the last minute. I started in the honeymoon stage of summer. :P

This AP stuff is just stressing me out. I’m almost 2/3rds done with the assignment, so I don’t want to leave now, and I’d have to wait until next week to change my schedule, but all the good electives and everything would be full, so I’d get a crappy schedule. But most importantly, I know everyone’s going to BS and suck up to the teacher the whole year, and I’m not ready to deal with that crap yet.

Summer reading in general just pisses me off. They give you such a limited selection of books, and expect you to pull the book out of your @$$ or whatever. Honestly, where the heck do teachers think I could find a book that was most recently printed in the 1990’s? And teachers only say it’s here to help us. Will reading Twilight or the latest Nicholas Sparks book really help me out this year? And I’m in AP and Honors classes. I don’t think a young adult novel will help me this year, especially if I’ll be reading deciphering books from the 1800’s. I believe it only helps people in slower/less advanced classes, because from what I’ve heard at school, they don’t have to read letters and essays from a while back. And in my school, a majority of the slower/less advanced students are in those classes out of laziness, not from learning disabilities, or being weak in the subject. So if those students who are trying to be ‘helped’ are lazy, chances are they’ll just Sparknotes/Wikipedia the book, or just watch the movie, or not do anything at all! So why should people who work hard put up with assignments in our break time because some people are being too lazy to work?

[/rant]

2 comments:

  1. And why is the question ALWAYS "How'd the author write the book so you like it?"? I usually hate summer reading books, so the answer is usually "Well, I wouldn't know. I didn't like the book." And even if we do like the book, why do they always think it's because of the writing? I might like the characters or the plot, but not the sentence structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they're trying to prepare us for the real world by teaching us how to lie? :P

    ReplyDelete