Saturday, September 25, 2010

What?

I’m back from my mini hiatus. AP History + Biology honors = stressful. But I’ll skip the details and head straight into a –gasp- rant!

So, English is my second language. I learned around when I went to school, so I’ll say 4 or 5, the latest. Armenian is my first language. Armenian is a little different for pronouncing stuff, like more r’s are rolled, and there is a kh, ch, sh, and other sounds/letters that aren’t as focused on in English. So basically, I have an accent.

This year, in Spanish, I sit next to the girl that everyone loves for no reason. And I mean that, like she’s average and hasn’t done anything to deserve everyone fawning over her. And I’ve had 3 classes with her since 7th grade. Once, she literally walked out of the class because ‘she got hit with a tennis ball’. Okay, so we were playing catch and someone threw the ball near her, so she bitched over nothing. So, anyway, we have speaking activities. And last week, she told the girl sitting next to her something: I have an accent and she can’t understand me. At all. Honey, you’ve known me for like, 3 years now. Don’t you think it’s a little late to complain about my accent now? And it’s not like I could defend myself, because she said it too loud to be heard, but too quiet to confront her about it.

And then- this week. We had to do another activity where we read off questions from pieces of paper. And then, when it was my turn to read off questions, this girl just flat out tells me: ‘Do you speak any other languages? Like… Armanian or whatever at home?’ I said yes. Then she said ‘Oh, because… yeah’. WHAT THE HELL? I’ve been dealing with this girl’s BS for 3 years and she can’t just grin and bear 5 minutes of ‘Como te llamas?’ . Then, for the rest of the activity, she didn’t even bother listening, and she just kept asking me to repeat what I said before, until I just showed her the paper. And I can’t tell the teacher, because, as I said before, little miss Mighty Whitey gets loved by everyone for no reason.

So basically, I’m stuck dealing with this inconsiderate POS in Spanish class for a year.

It’s bad enough that she couldn’t just ask me to speak clearer, or be nice, or anything, but she just said it like ‘You’re bad for having an accent and you don’t deserve to be listen to. Now, do my work for me, but make it look like I’m doing all the work, k?’. I’m shy and quiet in school because of my accent, and being mistreated because of it won’t make me come out of my shell. I’m not asking to be treated specially, but honestly, would it kill her to just ask me to speak slower? I mean, I’ve disliked her for a long time, but I just put a fake smile on and treat her with the respect she doesn’t deserve.

10 comments:

  1. *Counts* D: You're right! I can't believe I had that many classes with that she witch, and she still treats me like crap! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can't expect a person who gets everything handed to her and thinks that a teacher who gives her a B has "random grading style" to treat people she's not friends with nicely.
    She's such a Mary Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this and thought 'Jeez'. How disrespectful of her to act like that. Maybe you could switch classes? I've known people like that in school (too many years ago, lol) that everyone just lurved for no reason, and the person acted like a *****. Go figure.

    Oh, I also wanted to say THANKS for putting my Riverview blog on your faves! :D ^.^

    By the way, my kids are homeschooled, and my sixteen-year-old daughter would never ever act like that about someone's accent. In fact, she likes accents, lolzers. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! :)

    I don't want to switch classes because that would give her too much pride, and I'm not sure if I could still change my schedule. And something tells me her boyfriend(Athlete) and her wardrobe(Revealing, for a high school that uses AC too much) have something to do with her popularity. When she has neither, she's basically friendless.
    Your kids sound nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blame ya there. The school probably wouldn't let you anyhow. That makes sense, her BF being an athlete and all. Why the heck would the school staff let her dress in a revealing way?! My kids used to go to school (long story about why they're now homeschooled) and they'd b*tch about shorts going above the knee! The same thing when I was in school forever ago. :/

    No dress code? :P

    anyhow, thank you for the nice compliment about my kids. :D :) And don't worry about that girl, she's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's complicated. Her shirts go down pretty low and her clothes in general are tight. My school does have a dress code, but something tells me the school has double standards about clothes, like if the person is overweight or too skinny, as oppose to, say, a 5'2" Kim Kardashian look alike. :P But they're still strict about shorts and everything, so at least there are some fair stuff. For guys... I have to see around 5 pairs of boxers a day because some people think walking around in neon colored underwear is flattering. Black pants and clothes + bright boxers + low jeans = horrible combo.

    And her boyfriend is very... protective of her, according to the rumor mill. :P Even when they're in their on again/off again mode, he's quick to defend her.

    I plan on just ignoring her. Respect and attention should be given to those who deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a nice school. >.< Just another reason I'm glad to homeschool mine. Even though it's a pain sometimes, it's still far worth it over dealing with the school's BS. >:(

    Hmmm. than again, there are SOME shirts that just don't fit right and do tend to 'slide down' or something, lol.

    :D lol about the boxer shorts, hahaha. WTH.

    Wonder why he's so protective? That's odd. Most guys that age (that I've always known of) could give a crap less, at least if they're not together. lol, actually sounds like a nice guy, maybe too good for her? >.>

    That's really all you can do. Really. And you're right about respect and attention. LOL, that's the only way to treat Jarsie9 as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Public school's better than private school, from my experience. So woot. :)

    I'm not shirt how girl clothes works, but I'm pretty sure if 90% of my shirts went down low or too tight, I'd start buying a size larger, or shop somewhere else. :P

    But seriously, it's so gross. Like, I don't care how much you spend on underwear, I don't want to see it. :P

    Eh, he's alright. He's less rude than she is, but he's overprotective in a stalker-ish way. Then again, who am I to judge high school relationships?

    ReplyDelete