Sunday, January 30, 2011

Poor News Judgement

Recently, Egypt is in chaos, due to protesters. I'm not gonna lie, I barely know anything about it. The only news I do know is that it's because they're sick of their current president/prime minister/etc and want a new one. And I was watching an Arabic news channel (My parents speak Arabic and are from Syria so we just have an international satellite thing), and the streets were a mess and everything was going wrong and chaotic. But do you want to know what my local (NYC area) news covers?
Snow. Honestly. They act like we live in Hawaii or Ecuador or the Equator or something, and we've never seen the snow before. 75% of nights from December until March have news people end their broadcasts with 'And for tomorrow's big storm, we're extending our coverage! Now you can find out all of your snow related details from 4:30 in the morning!'. Honestly, just tell us if we're getting school off, if the public transportation is screwed up, and what roads are actually plowed.
I admit, this year the snow is way more (Currently, my lawn's snow goes up to my knee, but I'm not too tall, so that doesn't say much) and I haven't seen grass since Christmas, but they're acting like the people who watch their news are too stupid to get a shovel, snow plow machine thing, or salt and wear boots that aren't Uggs. Also, my household gives them 1 more viewer, but that's because most of the Arabic TV stations are a mess over the Egypt crisis and cable daytime shows suck. And the local news people shouldn't have a right to be on past 8 or 9 in the morning. Part of me just thinks that they have nobody to go home to and kill time at their studio.
But seriously. We don't need this much coverage for snow! Just tell people to dress in layers and problem solved. I was watching one story about how people can't walk because of the city's poor shoveling stuff, but the people were dressed in heels, boots and dress shoes. You don't go out in like 20 inch snow dressed up for prom! And it's always 'snow-pocalypse' now. Every week, there's a storm that's going to be horrendous! 5 weeks in a row? I don't think so.
And then my Dad and Aunt brought up a valuable point: Why are they complaining about what to do with all this snow when other places (IE Canada) have it worse and they never complain?
I don't even want to know what's going to happen to all this snow once it melts. Floods? Or a cycle of melted snow -> ice -> melted snow -> ice that doesn't evaporate?
Oh, and then the whole Jersey Shore going to Italy 'story'. Hey Italy, you spawned them! Suck it up!

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, really. Special mention goes to how people are excited that they get a day off from work and they could watch their favorite daytime program for once, and then the network's just interviewing people shoveling or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. And do NYC-ers even have driveways? Cleaning a sidewalk isn't the same thing as shoveling a driveway. :/

    Lol, I remember them complaining about that on the website last year. 'I wanted to watch [soap opera] but instead I have to watch random kids make snowmen! UGH!'. Someone needs a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you have snow. =(

    Stupid Arizona.

    And I've been keeping up a little bit on the Egypt situation. Seems like every day something new is going on. The floods down under, blizzards in the US, rioting in England. It's just a big ol' mess. =\

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it is pretty stupid that they're complaining about snow all the time. There are definitely better things they could be reporting on. There is supposed to be a big storm coming up though so we'll probably get snow days.

    I've sort of been following that whole Egypt thing. Not too much though.

    I still can't believe those morons are going to Italy. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been canceled yet. Usually shows like that get canceled after the second season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And happy birthday to you and SS :)! Hope you guys have a good one :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ AE: So far, 2011 is sucking. :/ But wasn't there snow in 49 states like, this month?

    @Ilovethesims: Yeah. This week is supposed to be big snow-wise, but apparently my town only has 3 snow days now, so... :/
    The Kardashians have like 20 spinoffs and seasons, so I don't think Snooki and the gang are going anywhere yet.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome :)! They probably won't go anywhere soon. Good point. And it's MTV so they'll probably hold unto that for a looooooong time. 3? Maybe you'll get tomorrow off too?

    ReplyDelete