Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Thoughts on the TMN Gift Post

Okay, first, I’m just going to say this one thing: I don’t want to stretch this out into a saga of blog posts that will end with someone taking in indefinite hiatus.

Now that that’s out of the way, I agree with what The Mare’s Nest did/said for the gifting situation. I’m friends with Kami, and I’ve been in Kelle’s chatbox a few times, but I understand what their ‘side’ did was wrong. Gifting people just to tell them off is wrong. I think I remember reading that on someone’s blog once about gifting stuff to the Gurus (I think it was FuryRed or The Mares themselves, but I don’t remember who) just to tell them off. So wouldn’t that be cyberbullying? Yes, I doubt the big corporation would try to sue some angry kids, and that many gifts from several people is different than one that just says ‘eff you!’, but isn’t it the same thing at the end of the day?

And for AE’s blog post: Well, you wouldn’t want to know about my Internet history. No, I didn’t do anything illegal, but I used to troll and be annoying and hated and even won third place for ‘troll of the year’ in a forum contest poll thing… when I joined a forum in August. I won’t say what the forum was (It was for Pokémon, though), or what my username was (I used a different name for that community, for this purpose, oddly), but I’m just going to tell you: I was awful. And 11. And bored. But I eventually used grammar, stopped harassing people, and grew up. And then I won an honorable mentioned award for the most improved category.

If I dared to link that account here, I’d be shunned. You’d all want my Internet disconnected years ago. But once again, I grew up and made my own blog. Now, whether or not you think I’m a n00b now is your opinion, but if the Internet was just a hit or miss chance, where would some of us be? I’ve got into Facebook fights on real life. I’ve gotten into some fights with the Pokémon fansite community when SS and I had one. But I changed after learning my mistakes. And I haven’t been a troll or n00b in this community yet (This blog post probably is sending me down that road, but whatever), so that should count for something, right?

I mean, I agree that if a n00b/troll does something illegal or on the cyberbullying side, they should be punished, but can’t they change? I’m not calling Kami and her friends n00bs or trolls, but I’m pretty sure that in a few months, some of them will cool down and change their behavior.

I’m trying not to sound condescending, but haven’t we all been the lowest on the totem pole? Don’t we all have n00b/troll experiences? Why are we trying to forget our pasts, just because TMN didn’t cover it?

Should they grow up? Yes. Do we have to shun them and hate them until they do? Not necessarily.

Wow, this blog post was shorter than I thought it would be.

7 comments:

  1. Good post, I originally had a much longer reply, but it's probably better not to mention what was in it. I'll sum it up in this; some people do go through a troll phase, and they might grow out of it. Shunning them and calling them names until then doesn't really help. Ignoring them would be the best thing for those kinds of people. Other people are unintentionally trolls and never change. Sometimes shunning and hating is necessary for those types. I don't think that's the case for this situation, but then again I really don't know what exactly happened other than what the Mare's Nest has said.


    And you were a troll lol? I can't imagine you doing that you seem like you would never do that! Don't worry, you've changed now (And you never trolled in this community), so I doubt anyone is going to hold a grudge against you.

    Like I said I did have a more detailed answer, but I decided against it. Hopefully this post makes sense, I'm really tired. Goodnight :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I originally had some other things included, but, like you, I decided to not include them. I don't want to start even more drama.
    Yeah. A lot of the trollers from that website I used to go on grew out of it, or just trolled each other in their own little cliques. But most people just change with positive encouragement. I remember when I started actually typing with grammar, someone replied 'Wow, I can actually read your post!' so I wanted to change more after that. Hating people who should know better, like Jarsie, is a must, but people who had good intentions, or at least are somewhat more defenseless, shouldn't be treated so brutally, IMO.
    Yeah, I learned my lesson pretty good. I wasn't like Jarsie9, but I just typed in chatspeak and acted rude and stuff. I've changed, but I still understand where some trolls are coming from. Unless if they should know better, then I'm nice on them.
    No problem, I understood it fine. Good night :)
    And I got like 6 hours of sleep for the past 2 days so forgive me for any misplaced commas, incorrect verb tenses and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol no one could be as rude as Jarsie. She seems to be back to trolling again. She was ok for a little bit, but now she's acting like... Jarsie again. I think people could change too, but other couldn't. Generally speaking if they've been trolling or unintentionally acting like a troll for more than a year, they aren't going to change. And wow! Only 6 hours? How are you functioning lol :P?

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. I haven't been on the forums in forever, so I haven't seen her latest antics.
    Lol, I don't know. I had a delay today and like no homework last night, so I got to sleep a lot. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good that you didn't get homework today. Hate when your sleeping schedule gets screwed up!

    And Jarsie was doing better and I (almost, if it wasn't for the fact that she picked on a ton of people right before her mid- October ban) felt bad that people were still ranting about her. Then again she's been trolling for about 9 years and a month of good behavior doesn't make up for nearly a decade of being an awful woman. And then about a week ago she went right back to her old self. She's sort of quieter now though. She does unite a lot of people in their hatred of her though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think I indirectly met you through her. Jenn told me that your blog said that she got banned then, then I checked it out and now we're friends. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah lol that was how we met. So Jarsie's not completely useless lol XD!

    ReplyDelete