Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mandatory Degrassi Post

So I've been obsessing over Degrassi way more than I was last week. And last night, the 2nd half of the season started! And I've been watching from the start online.
Season 1: So far, from the 5 episodes I've seen, the show is really good. I actually care about the characters. I know how they feel. Their interactions and dialogue (Spellcheck says I'm spelling dialogue wrong, but I think that's how it's spelled...?) are realistic. But everyone is so young. I don't remember going into 7th grade with people dressed like that, missing their front teeth, and wearing clothes from the Children's Place. Okay, so I used to do the last one, but to be fair, it was my first year in public school, and I didn't know what was 'in'! But yeah. They're awkward. Usually, shows hire kids that are older than the character's age, not younger.
Like:
Emma - the hippie girl.
Ashley- the popular one.
Terri- the plus size girl.
Sean- the troubled one.
JT- the comic relief.

Neutral:
Liberty- Has anyone seen Ned's Declassified? Imagine a nerdier version of 'Claire Sawyer, future lawyer' and you get Liberty. She's boring, but she hasn't seriously pissed me off yet.
Toby- Annoyingly nerdy. He makes annoying facial expressions. I know that's mean, but the actor is just annoying.

Dislike:
Paige- the beeyotch. She stole Terri's crush at the dance, after making her drunk! And they're only 13! Gosh.
Spinner- the bully/I don't know. Terri's crush, but stolen by Paige. :/ He seems way older than most of the cast.
Drake, I mean Jimmy- he's annoying. He thinks he's the cool athlete, but he looks like he came out of 1986. It's called Abercrombie, dude.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas: Okay, so that's not what the episode was called, but it's what it should've been called. Basically, the school has a Vegas themed dance (Season 10, btw) and hell occurs. It's Degrassi, what else do they expect? Let's see...

  1. Bianca, the school slut, did some 'loving' in the Boiler Room with...
  2. Drew, who was dating...
  3. Alli, who was paid to do some more 'loving' in the Boiler room with...
  4. Some guy who's name I didn't catch, who convinced Alli that 'any guy would pay a lot of money to hook up with a girl like you'. 
  5. Claire, the Bella Swan of the show, had to date Fitz , the bully, to stop Fitz's and Eli's feud.
  6. Eli, Claire's boyfriend, is pissed at Claire because he thinks Claire's gonna cheat on her with Fitz because of this.
  7. Eli spiked Fitz's drink so he puked.
  8. Fitz almost stabbed Eli, causing the school to go into a lockdown.
  9. Holly J performed a strip tease to Sav so... actually, I don't know why. They were basically a couple by that point, so it's not like she needed that to win him over, or anything. 
  10. The principal changes everything at the school, because things got too out of control.
  11. Alli and Bianca went to a self esteem seminar because people found out about their Boiler Room moments.
  12. Alli changes schools because she feels that her reputation is ruined.
  13. Oh, and the principal banned clubs without teacher supervision. Chantay worked hard to get them back.
  14. Oh yeah, the changes. Uniforms, no PDA, student IDs and no teacher-less clubs. 
I think I covered everything that happened in that arc. Hey, Degrassi, you think that's tough? I used to go to a school that wouldn't let us talk during lunch because we were 'too loud' during the Christmas concert (Private school, so don't worry about religion in schools or anything :P). I wish those were our conditions.

And finally, last night:
Fiona and Adam hook up. Fiona suddenly becomes an alcoholic. Adam is okay with it, because Fiona only likes him with alcohol. Holly J and Adam are worried for Fiona. Intervention time. Fiona is pissed at Adam. Holly J shows Fiona's journal entry on Adam being all lovey dovey and stuff. But a lot of people think it's for Holly J, because the promos keep implying Fiona is a lesbian, including scenes. That would also explain why Fiona would want to kiss Adam, who is a female-to-male trans-gender person. 
Anya and her Mom go to the hospital to find out if Anya's Mom recovered from cancer. She did. Anya is upset though, because she won't see her Mom's 25 year old doctor anymore. However, she finds out that he's gonna go out on a date at a restaurant Friday, at 7. So guess what she does? And she brings along Holly J, who fake chokes on an olive, so the doctor could  notice Anya. Then some stuff happens, but Anya and the doctor are now a couple! Anya, who is 17, is happy that she's dating her dream crush, but wholesome, strip-teasing Holly J is mortified! Anya and the Doctor go out, kiss and their relationship actually works out, until her curfew. The doctor (I'm just gonna call him Chris) is confused because's she's '20', until Anya says it's her own imposed curfew. Then more stuff happens and Anya almost went away for the weekend with Chris. But her Mom finds out and makes her tell the truth! Then Anya and Chris 'break up'.... but Chris said he'd call her once she turns 18. 
And in the 3rd plot of the episode, Dave (I think) gets a new tall girlfriend. He feels insecure, so he dumps her. Then his friends convinced him he's a douche and should go out with her again. She accepts. Honey, if he called you a giraffe once, he'll call you a giraffe again! Oh, and Dan Schneider called. He wants his plot back. Well, not really, but, I remember a show or cartoon did this plot once. Maybe it was The Weekenders

And next week, Riley comes out to his Mom and Bianca is still being a slut. I hope they keep up these hour long episodes. The wait is too long! 

6 comments:

  1. Hm interesting about the new episodes. I might have to watch that again now lol. But lol you have most of the older characters done right.


    Some stuff happens with all of them thought that's interesting but I won't go on cause I don't want to give it away for you. I think Drake/jimmy eventually gets better, but I can't remember for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, thanks. SS just reminded me that I forgot Manny. I guess she could be 'the sidekick' or 'the boring one' for now.
    And don't worry about spoilers. I've already read like everything on it. Are you talking about the wheelchair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Manny! I remember her. Wasn't there a Craig too? Or maybe I'm just thinking of Spiinner. Yeah eventually Drake gets shot and I think he gets better. I think its by some psycho who pushed a girl (Paige? Not sure) into a comma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so, but I think he comes later in the show.
    And I think the psycho pushed Terri according to Wiki, again.
    Gosh, I'm such an addict D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol that was it! Ok so Paige got of lucky. I think something bad happens to her once or twice though in the later seasons. Can't remember what though. Maybe it was her boyfriend dumping her or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She got raped and I think she lost her trial. Why am I even watching if Wiki tells me everything? :P

    ReplyDelete