Saturday, February 5, 2011

I Never Thought I Would Say This…

But I think I became a soap opera addict. xD Okay, well, teen soap opera. Degrassi. For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s basically a Canadian high school/town and the lives of It’s students. It used to be ‘good’, like with real issues and plots and stuff, but after American parents got all angry, so they had to turn it down a little. Now it’s just another teen soap opera. Well, they still have ‘issues’, but it’s not as scandalous anymore, if that makes sense.

But yeah. It all started out when I didn’t have anything to watch on Nick @ Nite or TVLand, and I remembered that we have TeeNick now, so I checked what was on, and it was Degrassi. I never thought I would like it and I thought it would be fun to make fun of them, but… yeah, that didn’t work out. I watched like 4 episodes last night, and 6 today. I’m such a soap opera junkie. Smile with tongue out

I guess I also like that it’s on TeeNick. I like how now it’s not just random reruns of Nick’s library from the 90’s, but they have a ‘theme’, if that makes sense. They know it’s for teens, not preteens who think they’re cool, or people in their 20’s who still live at home and sit in their pajamas all day. Seriously. The old The N used to have a lot of texting commercials, and promotions for Nickelodeon shows on. And those online college commercials. There was this one girl in the commercials who claimed people who went to online colleges only went to online college so they could be in their pajamas all day. :/

And that was just the COMMERCIALS. The actual shows on were either iCarly, True Jackson VP, and whatever else you could normally watch on Nickelodeon. I don’t know about other people, but The N was a premium channel for me, so I got annoyed when I saw Miranda Cosgrove on yet another channel. Or even worse, shows from the 90s which I’ve NEVER seen anyone complain about missing, like all of those game shows. At least All That and stuff were well known. But most of these short lived game shows were just irritating. Now, they have Ned’s Declassified (Which is like one of my favorite shows of all time), Drake & Josh (Which is still somehow relevant after like 3 or 4 years of cancellation), Zoey 101, What I like about you (I have a feeling Dan Schneider forced them to do it), That 70’s show (Which I never grew to like, but whatever), Degrassi, and some other show called Gigantic.

I guess I also like it compared to it’s competition, ABC Family. ABC Family also has syndication (except it’s older and ABC-owned, with exceptions like That 70’s show) and teen ‘dramas’, like Secret Life of an American Teenager (Or that pregnant show, if you’ve seen ads), Pretty Little Liars (Or the one with the real-live bratz dolls lying down on the ground) and so on. There aren’t texting commercials, either! But… the commercials are aimed at women. I’m not sexist, but it’s awkward to watch commercials about air fresheners, breakfast foods, microwavable stuff, and dog food. Oh, and… female hygiene stuff. At least TeeNick has ProActive and stuff.

TeeNick is also nice because it’s a nice escape from overexposed tween stars. It’s nice to not see a Miranda Cosgrove anything in between iCarly episodes, or not seeing Big Time Rush or Victorious on every second of the day. Degrassi has like 20 characters credited in their theme song, and each episode only revolves around a few of the kids, so it’s not like they try fitting in everyone everyday, and I don’t get bored from watching the same characters over and over again. Then again, I watched a marathon, so I’d just wait an hour or so to see ‘my’ characters. If I’d be watching once a week, I’d hate to wait a month to see plots I care about. But I heard they’re trying out an episode a night, so… yeah. But if the main audience is high schoolers, I could see how someone could lose track of the show easily.

So, would I recommend Degrassi? If you can handle sappy drama, fake romances and issues, and unrealistically attractive people, then yes. But do to all the kissing and ‘I think I’m ready for my first time’ plots, I have to change the channel or mute when my parents come in the room, so don’t expect wholesome stuff. It’s extremely easily to get hooked to, too.

And here’s a character from Degrassi that looks like they have Custom content hair.

image(Source)

 

image (Source)

I guess that’s how NewSea wanted it to look.

I finished half of my homework, so now I have to type up my cell project and actually do it. The weather isn’t that bad over here, today.

7 comments:

  1. bahahaha you and me both! >.<
    I love degrassi! though I have been getting into Glee now, which I never thought I would!
    I cannot wait until the next season which premiers this Friday :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha aww. I was watching too much and I procrastinated with my homework. :X My favorite characters are Alli, Anya, and Clare. :P
    I'd watch Glee if it was on a better time. Tuesdays at 8 are like horrible for homework.
    Same! I know I'll be watching. :) Is it still gonna be like 1 a night or 1 a week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I have to catch it like on a different time thanks to my brother, because this show would be inappropriate for him >.<
    My favorite characters would have to be...well I like the tranny I can't think of the name atm >.< and I also like Clare, and Anya. Oh and Declan...for umm different reason...anywho xD
    I watch Glee online now I'm still on the first season episode 6 to be exact!
    And its going to be 1 per week, i think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. I went online and I found out that Teenick, the US provider, has all 10 seasons online. o.O I know what I'm doing this summer. :P
    Adam/Gracie? :P I haven't seen season 10 yet, I just know because I like his actress (From Life with Derek a few years ago).
    I hate it when my younger relatives ruin TV for me. A few years ago, my cousins from California visited, so my cousins (who are older than me by a few years) also came to our house. My older cousins wanted to watch Degrassi, and it was the episode where the cheerleader girl got stalked online after she posted pictures to raise money, or something. But my younger cousin from California was like 7 or something so we had to mute up like half the episode. >.<''

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol :). My sister used to watch that wayyyy back. Then she got my brother hooked for a while. That was a long time ago. The acting is sort of over the top at times. I remember this one time, there was this girl who had an abusive boyfriend, and the boyfriend literally just pushed her and she fell down and went into a coma. It was so fake.

    But it is a good show. I stopped watching it a while ago though.Who are the kids now? I stopped watching it like 4 years ago or whenever the original people started to go. I was addicted to it for a year though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I originally wanted to laugh at their acting, but it wasn't as cheesy as I thought it would be. It's still over the top, though.
    There's like no original kids now, and I think the oldest people are from 2007 or 2008 so I don't know if you would know anyone. But Sadie from Naturally Sadie and Lizzie from Life with Derek are on! :P
    I found out they have every episode online... so yeah. :D Well, I won't watch every episode, but just in case... :D .
    And ugh I have the theme song stuck in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! That's awesome. It isn't that cheesy. Some of them are over top, but most of them are actually ok.

    ReplyDelete