Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chronicles of a Webmaster

This past week, I wanted to go back into fansite making. I miss making layouts and content for the website, and making friends from viewers and affiliates was fun. And I miss doing something... productive. Not just social networking. Or playing video games. 
So today, I decided to go to 'Webs'(Formerly Freewebs) and make a website. So I did. And I went on. I made an account. Then I quickly deleted it. 
Why?
I realized that I wasn't ready for one. What happens when school would come? Would I ignore it again? What about if I got into 'drama'? Delete my website? What about after high school? What would my website be about? Where could I find affiliates or viewers? Where would I learn the HTML[I've taken Web Design in school, but if I wanted to make a good layout on my own, that would take days of Google searching] to make a good layout?
But I was mostly discouraged by being themeless. Here's a quick history lesson that'll help out for the rest of this post.
Back in April 2007, my brother and I made a fansite for Pokemon. (Hey, we were 12, and the fanbase was bigger back then!). Things were going great. And over the course of 16 months(Fast forward to June 2008) we moved around... 3 times(The website, not us. :P) Things went horrible fall of that year, and it became a general Nintendo fansite, but by February 2009, we managed to do a slight comeback(And by comeback, I mean 'Christina Aguilera comeback'; all the preparation and hype, but for no reason, there's a flop[No offense to Christina Aguilera intended]). Things got better, until fall of 2009, when we decided to just make it a personal-esque site, featuring several video games, like Pokemon, Mario stuff, Nintendo in general, and Zoo Tycoon 2, as well as sprite art and banners and stuff. Then... it just faded away. 
So, we didn't know what to make the site theme this time. 
  •  Sims? With our stories and stuff over there?
  • Mario stuff? With guides and graphics?
  • Pokemon? With years of experience but a lost fanbase?
  • Zoo Tycoon 2? With pictorials and reviews?
  • Graphic Arts in general? With sprite art/comic stuff too?
So, yeah. I felt clueless. Maybe a blog is the main thing right for me now. But I'll give you a link if I ever make this website. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment