Saturday, June 5, 2010

Infidelity for Video Games

So today, I was just going through my bookmarks on Mozilla Firefox, and I noticed a category I haven’t clicked since August, the latest. “Zoo Tycoon 2”. I remember that game. The fun, custom content my brother and I found. The interesting exhibits we made. The adorable animals. The accomplishment after winning a tough challenge. Screaming “Not again! We don’t have room for that budget!” when the game announced a Thomson's Gazelle or Koala would be pregnant for the umpteenth time. Then, I wondered why I don’t play anymore(Especially after paying for the Ultimate Collection Edition which cost a lot for not having a constant flow of income). I looked across the room, and noticed the Sims 3 box, staring at me. And I remembered, I moved on. I realized I’ve done this to other video games too- anything Mario related, the Pokémon series, Zoo Tycoon 2, and who knows what else. The Sims 3 might just be another phase for me. I feel bad for kind of cheating on the video games. It’s not their fault I grew up. I always promised myself I’d return to them. Then, I just started changing my mind, because of other people. “People hate Mario spinoffs.” “Pokémon isn’t for 14 year olds.” “Zoo Tycoon 2 has a dead fanbase.” And I’d just forget about them. Yeah, I only buy one or two video games a year, especially in this economy, but I play a lot. Or do I? It feels like I just go into addiction for a video game, then 3 months later, it’s just collecting dust, lying in a corner with every other video game that thought they were the one.

Maybe I’m looking too deep into things. But it’s hard to play more than one video game at a time, especially if they’re open ended. And in the end, only one will be on your monitor or screen, and taking up your time. All others would be mistakes, because “This video game is totally the one'”. …Yeah, I really need to get out more.

 

So, my question for you, viewers, is Do you ever feel like you’re cheating or neglecting a former hobby/video game/show/etc.? What do you do to prevent that feeling of “I miss that game :<"”? Would this just me growing up, or having commitment issues?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think most people feel it in some way or another, through the form of nostalgia.

    And if it makes you feel any better, EA's patch has made Zoo Tycoon 2 more of a desirable option for me. :x

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. With Summer coming up, maybe I could try playing -gasp- a variety of games?

    ReplyDelete