Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Future

In October, I took the PLAN, a practice standardized test for the ACT. There was an option for if you’d like to get email and mail from colleges, and I checked that box, because the test costed 10 dollars and I figured it could only help me.

Right now, I’m going through a bag of mail from colleges and I’m feeling overwhelmed. The colleges that I really like so far are either really far away, really expensive, or both. I know there’s financial aid, but financial aid could change in 2 or 3 years. And I’ve also been on the CollegeBoard website and I used their academic tracker thing and I’ve realized some stuff:

  • 4 years isn’t enough for every elective I want to take.

Last year I took an elective for graphic arts. I thought it would be like Photoshop, but it’s actually for making stickers, T shirts, paper pads and more. I regret taking the class because it didn’t fulfill my visual arts requirement and it was one year long. Now I’m wishing I took other classes (Like business or journalism classes) so I could know more about what I want to do in the future. And the business class I planned on taking is only available for freshmen through juniors now, because apparently it was too easy and seniors took it to pad their schedules, so I can’t take it because I already am taking other classes next year.

  • I should’ve take the SATs last weekend.

I didn’t really have a lot of homework, and I heard there was an essay prompt for reality shows. I took SAT prep in the first semester, and frankly, I know I’m gonna forget everything by next year. I’m taking math SAT prep next year, though. I had a 1570 and 1620 when I took practice ones. And if I didn’t do as well as I wanted to last weekend, I’d have more time to retake it. And then there are subject SAT tests…

  • The entire education process is a monopoly.

Kids go to school to do good on state tests to get into better middle school classes for better high schools for better high school classes for a better college for a better job. Those ‘better classes’ I mentioned cost money, if you’re taking the AP tests with them. And then the SATs cost money, and the ACT, PLAN, Pre-SAT…. yeah. And only one company runs the SAT and AP tests, so they can set the prices to whatever they want.

 

On the plus side, I’ve realized what I kind of want to do in the future: Web Design or something Social Science or History related. Web Design, because I enjoy it and the Internet isn’t going away anytime soon, and Social Science/History because I’ve loved it as a child and it sounds genuinely entertaining.

I don’t want to mention any specific colleges that I’m interested in, just in case if they find my blog and whatnot. And like I said, it’s too early to decide.

I guess I’m worried about the future for a lot of things. Being away from home, driving, relationships, jobs, paying bills, raising kids… aaahh. Everything’s going so fast.

5 comments:

  1. Hm I'm not too sure about the SATs cause I really only know about the ACTs. Aren't they basically the same? So I don't really know about your scores, but they sound good!

    Yeah college is expensive, and financial aid could change in the next few years, but you might be able to get a job to help raise money. I know/knew a few people who had financial problems, but through financial aid, they found a way. Hopefully it won't change. How far away? Like 2 or 3 hours, or 5 or 6? I wouldn't let the distance stop you either. It would probably be tough if it was like 5 hours away the first week, but there are a lot of parties and a lot of cool people at colleges to help you forget about the distance lol.

    Anyways, yeah the electives suck (As far as how you only get 2/3 per year) and you don't have enough time to take everything you want. But if you think you want to do web design or social science/history (Yay!) then maybe take electives related to those? I get that you want to explore your options, but those electives might honestly make you happier.

    Yep, it is. The better classes do cost money. Pretty sick in the head when you think about it.

    LOL nothing wrong with planning ahead :D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just typed a long comment, but Blogger decided to delete it -_-.
    Yeah, but ACTs have Science and SAT is out of 2400. Thanks! My scores aren't Ivy League level, but I don't intend on going to those schools anyway, so I'm pretty happy with it. :)
    I live in NJ, and the furthest ones have been in Florida, Minnesota and Louisiana. I'm okay with 4 hours and less, though. And for financial aid, I plan on using scholarships to their full extent and getting a job when I can drive. And Google Ads. :P
    I took the 1 web design class available in my school. But I'm taking 3 social studies classes next year! :)
    I feel like they want lower income people to stay as lower income people and the same for wealthier people. Gotta love the caste system :/.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bleh stupid Blogger. I hate when it does that stuff.

    Oh, ok. So yeah those scores are really good then lol :)! You'll be able to go to whatever school you want then (Minus the Ivy League lol).
    Oh, those are pretty far away then. I guess if you really want to go to a college in another State, then don't let the distance stop you. Good ideas :P!

    That's cool! You'll probably have fun with those then. Do you know what they're about?

    My school's pretty stingy with electives. As far as 11th and 12th grade go, you either have to devote yourself to one branch (Like related courses), or take the AP required electives (Which are basically social studies classes) which leaves you with like one elective option(Usually a foreign language).

    So true :/. I think there is a (hard) way you can take them for free if you do a lot of paperwork/ threaten to sue the school. I think one of my neighbors did that for their kid which didn't make any sense at all because the dude had a lot of money :/.
    Yep :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I also wanna stay in state because some colleges are cheaper for people who live there.
    One of them is US History II Honors, which is everything after the Reconstruction period. AP US Gov & Politics is about, well, US Government and politics. And Contemporary Issues Honors is about current events and stuff. I hope it boosts my GPA.
    That sucks! Are you requirements a lot? My school has like 1 year foreign language, 1 year 'artsy' stuff and 1 year 'practical' classes for electives.
    That's... interesting. I'd like save those freebie slots for people who actually need them. o.O And it's ridiculous how some people spend just as much money getting INTO college as they do for colleges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah in state's usually cheaper.
    Oh those sound interesting :)! Especially US history II! Hopefully it will boost your GPA :)!
    Meh mine's similar but a little bit different. It's one year language, one year gym (Although I get to waive a semester), personal health which is one semester, one year artsy stuff (But again I'm in band so that's no problem for me, but then again it takes up an entire elective, and I plan on doing it at least until 12th grade), and then there are 2 other classes that you have to take. Those ones are usually only a semester long, but if you want to take the AP version, they take a full year each. So really, the only year you can do anything is 12th grade, but by that time it's sort of a waste.
    Yeah that dude was sort of bad for doing that, but I think anyone could do it if they were that dedicated to making suing threats :p! Yeah that is ridiculous too!

    ReplyDelete