Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Degrassi: Season 4 Review

I actually finished watching this at the end of April. School and stuff just got in the way, as usual, and… now I’m watching season 8. And seeing as the show has like 25 characters plus reoccurring characters, I’m not going to do the chart anymore.

I like Paige because she’s really grown as a person. The old Paige wouldn’t be nice to Rick or Alex but she’s becoming a nicer person. She’s also building an identity outside her relationship with Spinner, by dumping him.

I originally liked Ellie because she was the most unique girl on the show. And she stood up to old Paige. Now I like her because she has an emotional, non-relationship storyline. And she’s cute with Sean. Unfortunately, this is her last season as her own person. After the episode Queen of Hearts, Ellie gambles to earn rent to keep her and Sean’s apartment, but she loses and has to move back with her Mom. This would be a GREAT storyline to go back to. But the show never did. They just turned her into some boy crazy girl who shops at Hot Topic, not the goth girl we knew and love. But that’s for season 5 and on, so yeah. Did you know the people who wrote Juno modeled Juno after Ellie/Stacey (her actress)? I didn’t. I wonder why she wasn’t in the movie.

Jimmy kind of grew as a person, so I guess I like him now. I admit, most of the reason why I like him is because he got shot and I feel bad for him, especially considering the circumstances of how he got shot. I’d like to say he became more interesting after he got shot, but no, he didn’t.

I like Hazel because she supported Jimmy. Most people say she’s a shallow character but I think that’s rude. A shallow character would’ve leave Jimmy, but Hazel stayed with him and supported him when he needed her. And Andrea had a good performance when she found out Jimmy got shot.

I still like Ashley because she was dramatic and I agreed with her on most of her actions. I think she did a good job of supporting Craig when he needed her but she left when she felt uncomfortable. She showed that people should leave relationships that make them feel uncomfortable.

Liberty and JT finally hooked up this season. So that makes both characters more likeable, because their only plots aren’t Liberty wants JT but JT doesn’t want Liberty. Toby was forgettable this season, but I guess he was okay during the Rick storyline.

This is the last time I like Sean. I think he had a strong performance, but I want to know why Daniel Clark left the show. Especially if he decided to come back later. Oh well. He grew as a character and it feels like a full circle moment.

Emma and Manny are intolerable now. Manny breaks up yet ANOTHER couple (Paige and Spinner) while Emma becomes even more self righteous and hypocritical. Manny and Spinner was possibly the stupidest thing I’ve seen on Degrassi so far. Emma is slowly becoming out of character because the writers realized no teenager would protest for the environment during high school. Emma gained a new nickname from me: GonnorEmma, because… well, she did stuff with a guy in a van. Smile with tongue out Ironically, she also broke up a couple.

I liked Alex, the new bully girl, even if she caused the shooting. She was nice in Mercy Street, King of Pain and Queen of Hearts. She interacted with a LOT of groups, and represents the demographic Degrassi doesn’t represent but should. She had funny dialogue (“Look at me, beautiful and a virgin!” “Now that’s acting”) as well. She’s that character that says what’s on the viewer’s mind at this point.

I DESPISE Spinner. At least before, he was just annoying or my hatred was just what I thought. But he actually got his best friend SHOT. What the hell? He also cheated on Paige (sort of) with Manny. And he got such a stupid haircut. Normally I don’t pick on the actors or their looks but goodness. He was terrible.

I hate Craig because he hogged most of the season and he didn’t even interest me as a character. I just got bored by all of the relationship drama, screen time and everything else he got.

Marco started to get boring this season. He starts off strong and independent and even comes out to his Mom. But then he discovers his boyfriend is cheating on him and his character falls apart as clingy and boring. Yawn. At least Ashley’s depression featured music. Marco just got whiny.

The Shooting

I want to know why Rick came back to Degrassi. They don’t have anything education wise, so it’s not like he’s missing out on much. I think Radditch should’ve have an assembly the day before he came back or have a teacher walk him from class to class or SOMETHING. The paint-and-feather scene reminded me of Carrie. I think Ephraim Ellis was a great actor.

Paige and Spinner and Some Other Drama

I think the relationship fell apart because Spinner became ‘in charge’ and started to abuse his power. I’m glad Paige dumped him before he got serious with Manny or he was worse to Paige. I think this started a downfall of Paige, sort of. She started to have a crush on Mr.Oleander and then he gave her pot and she befriended Alex who taught her to be more carefree and then her breakdown happened… I’m getting ahead of myself. And then Spinner started hanging out with Jay then the shooting happened. So yeah, they kind of needed each other. Spinner and Manny annoyed me because the build up was longer than their relationship. Paige and Mr.Oleander was forgettable.

More Craig Drama

The season starts with a Craig B plot and continues with a Craig and Ashley relationship. But Ashley became an accessory to Craig this season. Then he gets diagnosed with bipolar disorder, becomes attached to Ashley until he drives her away and runs away. But the show can’t go on without Craig, so he comes back. Annoyed I don’t like how the show revolved around Craig, especially because he never paid for his consequences.

Degrassi Jumps the Shark

The season started out great, but got extremely boring after Time Stands Still. Too much Craig drama. Then the show started to bring famous people. And I use that term loosely. Kevin Smith, an American director or something, had to film his latest movie at their school. This created an extremely boring and unrealistic arc. And the point where Degrassi jumps the shark.

 

Overall, it was a good season, but the second half fails by featuring too much relationships and not enough issues, a problem the show would later have more frequently. And people started to become out of character for the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment